[R-sig-eco] Fixing vertical and horizontal axes in R

Margaret Donald merricks.merricks at gmail.com
Thu May 12 07:55:51 CEST 2016

Thanks, Shane, but that is precisely my problem. The final graph will not
be the default windows size and I want to
    a) nominate the overall height & width, and
    b) enforce the equal scales on the x and y axes.

My code currently looks like this:

# Generate image plot 2:
#-----------------------
fn <- "SpeciesRateLevels11F.jpg"
jpeg(fn, width=600, height=700)
zmeshR <- matrix(zmeshR,ng,ng)
image(xgrid,ygrid,zmeshR,bty="l",xlab="Easting",ylab="Northing",
      col=zz.colors,  xlim=c(xx1, xx2), ylim=c(yy1, yy2),
      main="Estimated number of native species /.01 ha")
points(x,y,col="red",cex=0.7)
lines(Jboundary[,1],Jboundary[,2],col="black",lwd=2)

b <- contourLines(xgrid,ygrid ,
             zmeshR, nlevels=11,
             levels = c(2, 4, 6, 8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22))
for (i in 1:11){
    lines(b[[i]], col="black", lwd=1)
}

Cheers,
Margaret Donald

On 12 May 2016 at 14:02, Shane Baylis <shane.m.baylis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Margaret,
>
> It sounds like you're after eqscplot(), in package MASS. The overall size
> can be set as for any plot window, but note that if you scale the plot by
> dragging the limits of the plot window (or similar), the plot will need to
> be re-generated after scaling the window to ensure that equal-scale is
> maintained.
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/MASS/html/eqscplot.html
>
> Hope that helps,
>
>  Shane Baylis
>
> On 12/05/16 13:13, Margaret Donald wrote:
>
>> I have a figure which uses the same measurement units both vertically and
>> horizontally. I need the interval representing 20 m to be identical for
>> both the x and y axes.  How do I specify this? And at the same time
>> dictate
>> the size of the overall graph which is being saved as a jpeg.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Margaret Donald

Margaret Donald BA (Hon), M. App Stat, Ph.D, AStat
Statistician, Anne Clements & Associates