[R-sig-eco] NMDS axes scores

Philippi, Tom tom_philippi at nps.gov
Mon Jan 18 06:58:38 CET 2016

Conny--

Note that Jari's surface fitting is using ordination scores on the
right-hand predictor size of the formula, with some z as the response.

If you need something about species composition as your _response_ variable
in a linear model (e.g., with time, disturbance type, and treatment as
predictors, and perhaps site as a random effect), why not use each stand's
dissimilarity/distance from your reference forest sites?  The trend line
would be compositional distance or dissim v. time, with
color/symbols/whatever for different treatments.  That would have the
advantage of being easily & directly interpretable.  [The use-case where
that would fail is >>100% turnover so lots of 0 similarities to the
reference forests, so step-across or nmds might help put those large
distances in order.]  You might be able to set up the equivalent to your
GLM in adonis to get permutation significance tests.

I hope that this helps, or at least gives you a different way to think
about your problem, or else is so stupid that Jari gets annoyed and blasts
it with a valid solution.

Tom 2

 ------
Tom Philippi