[R-sig-eco] NMDS axes scores

Martin Weiser weiser2 at natur.cuni.cz
Mon Jan 11 09:38:29 CET 2016

Hi Conny,

AFAIK NMDS is *non-metric* and represents distances among objects, not
gradients along axes (known or unknown): distances along axes are
stretched as needed locally (NMDS works with rank order), even order of
the elements along axes does not tell anything. NMDS is great if you
want to say: Object A resembles object C more than it resembles object
B, even though C and B are quite similar.
Try this: run NMDS several times, aim for different number of axes (e.g.
1,2,3,5,10) and note the scores of the objects along the first one.  You
*may* get the same thing.

If you need scores of the objects in the ordination, use something with
well defined metrics and axes, e.g. PCA, CA.

HTH,
Martin