[R-sig-eco] Summary of the Answers I got for my post "How to incorporate spatial autocorrelation in multivariate GLM "

Alexandre F. Souza alexsouza.cb.ufrn.br at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 14:06:33 CEST 2015

Hello,

A few days ago I posted the following question, and got the answers below:

*Dear friends,*

*I would like to ask for some advice.*

*I am embarking in the analysis of 3,000 plant species occurrence data
across biogeographic scales in South America. I am willing to try to jump
from more traditional distance-based multivariate analysis (e.g., RDA on
hellinger-transformed abundance data) to multivariate GLM as proposed by
you (mvabund package) and also by Yee (VGAM package).*

*However, distance-based methods have grown to incorporate spatial
dependency through the development of MEM and AEM techniques, which model
symmetric and asymmetric spatial relationships and can be included in the
explanatory side of the analysis.*

*Reading the multivariate GLM papers, however, I have not find exactly how
to control or include spatial autocorrelation. I am thinking of including
MEM and perhaps AEM variables simply as co-variables added to the
explanatory environmental variables in the multivariate GLM.*

*Is this a step I will regret later on? Is this ok?*

*A second quick wondering: common GLM analyzes are carried out as a series
of nested models  in which we exclude variables from an initial full model
based on anovas/AIC. I suppose this is also true for multivariate GLM. Is
it? Can I compare successive models using the same approach used in common
GLM?*

*Thanks in advance for any thoughts,*

*All the best,*

*Alexandre*