[R-sig-eco] How to incorporate spatial autocorrelation in multivariate GLM

Tim Meehan tmeeha at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 17:25:51 CEST 2015

Hi Alexandre,

Not sure what the best solution is, but a few hacker ideas come to
mind.  First,
you could create a spatially lagged variable from scratch.  This would be
created by deciding on a neighborhood size, say first order neighbors, and
then creating a variable that was the average response (Y) value for the
first order neighbors.  Neighborhood size could be guestimated by looking
at residual maps.  This is similar to what happens in simultaneous
autoregressive (SAR) lagged models. Then this lagged variable could be a
fixed covariate in your model.  You could test residuals from the lagged
model to see if this removed your spatial autocorrelation.

Since you mentioned a GAM approach, you could also do a spatial GAM, where
Lat and Long variables are specified as smooth covariates with lots of
knots to account for short range spatial structure. Again, you could test
your residuals to see if this removed your spatial autocorrelation.

If you are comfortable with Bayesian modeling, Banerjee et al. (2015,
‘Hierarchical modeling and analysis for spatial data’) have a chapter on
multivariate spatial modeling, with a brief mention of generalized linear
models.

Some food for thought.

Best,

Tim