[R-sig-eco] diversity zones

Marcelino de la Cruz marcelino.delacruz at upm.es
Mon May 4 19:21:52 CEST 2015

Hi Katia,

Using some functions from spatstat you could get some maps.

For this, you should format your data as a ppp object of spatstat.

See my example below:

# data for my example
library(spatstat)
data(lansing)
plot(lansing)

# get richnes for each tree within a circle with R=0.05
# first tabulate number of neighbour trees for each species
lansing.r <- marktable(lansing, R=0.05)
# now summarize richness.
#This would be  equivalent to your vector of richness for each tree
lansing.rr <- apply(lansing.r, 1,function(x) sum(x>0))

# Add richness as a mark to the lansing ppp, maintaining the original
species mark
lansing$marks=data.frame(sp=lansing$marks, richness=lansing.rr)
plot(lansing)

# get a ppp for each species  ("split" the ppp)
lansing.sp=split(lansing, f="sp")
lansing.sp

# now remove the sp marks and let only the richness one
lansing.sp<- lapply(lansing.sp, function(x){x=x;
x$marks=x$marks$richness; return(x)})

# get "maps" of  richness around trees
    # with Smooth.ppp (Kernel smoothing)
    plot(Smooth(lansing.sp[["blackoak"]]))
    points(lansing.sp[["blackoak"]])

    # with idw (inverse distance weighting)
    dev.new()
    plot(idw(lansing.sp[["blackoak"]]))
    points(lansing.sp[["blackoak"]])

See the help page of Smooth.ppp and idw to see how to fine tuning
"bandwith", weighting distance etc.

HTH,

MArcelino