[R-sig-eco] calculate "dispersion index" (betadisper, vegan)

Eduard Szöcs szoecs at uni-landau.de
Wed Jul 29 20:24:48 CEST 2015

Dear Natalie,

it should be possible to use the betadisper-result to do this.
However, a possibly faster way would be to calculate the area of the
hull directly.

Here's an example:

require(vegan)
data(dune)
data(dune.env)
MDS <- cmdscale(vegdist(dune, method = 'bray'))
plot(MDS, type = 'n')
points(MDS, col = dune.env$Management, pch = 16)

# area only for hull of NM
take <- MDS[dune.env$Management == 'NM', ]
hull <- chull(take)
lines(take[c(hull, hull[1]), ])
require(splancs)
areapl(take[c(hull, hull[1]), ])