[R-sig-eco] distances in NMDS ordination space

Kate Boersma kateboersma at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 21:19:50 CEST 2015

Hi all.

I have a methodological question regarding non-metric multidimensional
scaling. This is not specific to R. Feel free to refer me to another
venue/resource if there is one more appropriate to my question.

Correct me if I'm wrong: NMDS axes are non-metric, which is why NMDS
frequently makes sense for community data, but it also means that
distances in NMDS ordination space cannot be interpreted simplistically
as they can in eigenvalue-based methods like PCA. This is why it is
inadvisable (meaningless) to use NMDS axes as response variables in a
linear modeling framework (e.g., with environmental variables as
predictors).

My question is this: Does that mean that it is also inadvisable to use
distances among points in ordination space as response variables?

My (potentially flawed) understanding: While the coordinates may not
make sense in isolation, they should be meaningful relative to each
other. In a 2D ordination, if communities A & B are closer together in
ordination space than communities C & D, that means they have more
similar species compositions. Therefore, I should be able to predict the
distance between points in a linear modeling framework.

Alternately, I could use the actual distances among communities from my
dissimilarity matrix with a method like db-RDA. But I used NMDS over RDA
or CCA for a reason. It seems more straightforward to use the distances
from my NMDS ordination instead of generating new coordinates from a
PCoA to fit an RDA framework (as in db-RDA)... but this logic only works
if NMDS distances are informative.

Are these comparable analyses? If not, why not?

I'd love your opinions.

Thank you,
Kate

--