[R-sig-eco] Distance matrix analyses

Diego Javier Inclan Luna diegojavier.inclanluna at studenti.unipd.it
Fri Sep 19 11:28:15 CEST 2014

Thank you for your kind response,

I am sorry about the lack of details behind my original question, I will
explain now why is important to me to test for the among group
combinations.

Specifically, I have sampled apple orchards and two neighboring seminatural
habitats (forest and grasslands). I am interested in evaluating how the
community composition change across these different habitats. In
particular, I expect that a significant interaction between the nestedness
of two habitats will be an indicative of high spillover between these
habitats. For instance, I have a distance matrix of the “relativized
nestedness” of Podani and Schmera (2011) and I would like to test the
contribution of forest and grassland habitats to the local diversity of
apple orchards. Therefore, I would like to compute the variances in
nestedness across these different habitats. For example, the “adonis”
function in vegan does this work, but my problem is that I cannot test for
the variance among habitats (following the original example it would be the
*ba*, *ca*, and *cb* combinations).

If I specify in “adonis” to do the grouping as *a*, *b* and *c*, it will do
the test on the *aa*, *bb* and *cc* of the matrix. Is it a way to specify
the groupings so that it will subset the distance matrix to test for *ba*,
*ca* and *cb* combinations?

Thank you,

Diego

--
----

Diego J. Inclan

PhD Student

DAFNAE-Entomology, University of Padova

Viale dell'Università 16, 35020, Legnaro (PD) - Italy

webpage: http://www.biodiversity-lorenzomarini.eu/Diego.html