[R-sig-eco] A beginner's question to constrained ordinations with vegan

Stephen Sefick sas0025 at auburn.edu
Thu Oct 9 15:11:10 CEST 2014

Tim,

I would take a look at Numerical Ecology with R. This book may not
address your particular question, but should be useful as a general
reference for using R for quantitative ecology.

Some questions:
Are you interested in what is structuring the community along an
environmental gradient? What is the rational for investigating the
sub-gradients?

My own curiosity:
Is there a literature source with quantitative data demonstrating that
particular ordinations "better" uncover true environmental/distance
relationships?

A couple of comments (please correct my misunderstandings):
RDA and PCA followed by envfit will give different results because they
are doing very different things. From my understanding, rda uses the
predicted value matrix from a multivariate regression of Comm_Mat ~
Env_Mat and then preforms a PCA on the resulting matrix (mean value
given the environmental predictors; constrained). A PCA on the
(appropriately hellinger transformed?) Comm_Mat is unconstrained by the
environmental variation and projects sites along the direction of
maximum variance in Comm_Mat only. Therefore, these techniques will give
very different results.

I hope that helps, and my explanation is not very far from the reality
of the techniques.

kindest regards,

Stephen

--
Stephen Sefick
Auburn University
sas0025 at auburn.edu
http://www.auburn.edu/~sas0025

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are so
little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and make
us feel like gods.  We are mammals, and have not exhausted the annoying
little problems of being mammals.

                                 -K. Mullis

"A big computer, a complex algorithm and a long time does not equal
science."

                               -Robert Gentleman