[R-sig-eco] calculating standard error of coefficients from adonis model

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Fri May 9 06:25:52 CEST 2014

Rafter,

I am not Gavin, but I step in and speak for him.

Gavin quite clearly suggested that you bootstrap adonis. The boot package is intended to generate bootstrap samples and to estimate the bootstrap confidence limits for *any* function. The boot package does not contain those functions, but you can use it to analyse adonis.

At the moment, I have no idea how to directly calculate the SEs you asked for, and even if I had, I am sure that bootstrapping would give more reliable estimates. We need to make very strong and very wrong assumptions if we try to estimate those SEs directly within adonis code, and bootstrapping is certainly better. What is sure is that the equations you gave in your message won't work.

I have never used these adonis coefficients, and I have no idea how to use them, and therefore I don't have any opinion about their use.

Cheers, Jari Oksanen