[R-sig-eco] generating equation (linear or non-linear) from scatter plot data

Don McKenzie dmck at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 27 21:43:37 CEST 2013

On 27-Sep-13, at 12:32 PM, shylock holmes wrote:

> Hi all - I have been looking on-line for an answer but cannot find
> one thus far, and was hoping anyone could be so kind to assist with
> some suggestions.
>
> I have biological data of body size (y) over time (x), and after a
> preliminary inspection using a scatter plot the data suggest the
> body size is declining. I used a linear regression to confirm this,
> however, now I would like to examine what sort of underlying
> regression equation I can use to describe this decline, i.e., how
> do I get the parameters for the equation and for a more fitting
> curve (better than the loess)? I could not find anything online on
> this so far.
>
> The curve is what I call a "reversed growth curve", and I also
> would like to examine at what year the decline is 5% or greater
> from the horizontal/asymptote (if that makes sense)......

To get a meaningful answer you will probably have to specify more
clearly the constraints on what you are doing.  For example, if you
use a linear regression, *every* year will have the same slope. If I
understand your question, the answer will depend sensitively on the
type of curve that you fit.

This is not really an R question, and you might want to consult a
statistician, or take a look at Ben Bolker's or Frank Harrell's books
on regression modeling.