[R-sig-eco] generating equation (linear or non-linear) from scatter plot data

Baldwin, Jim -FS jbaldwin at fs.fed.us
Fri Sep 27 21:42:22 CEST 2013

Do you have multiple measurements on individuals?  If so, have you accounted for the "repeated measures"?  If there are no multiple measurements on individuals, then maybe what explains a decrease in body size is a selection bias:  only smaller individuals survive in later time periods resulting in a smaller mean body size in later times.  So you would be seeing a change in mean size rather than individuals shrinking.

Jim Baldwin