[R-sig-eco] angular statistics

Holland, Jeffrey D jdhollan at purdue.edu
Tue Oct 15 19:10:43 CEST 2013

Hello Pete,
   You could include the sine and cosine of the angles.  A good book on this kind of analysis:
Fisher, N.I. 1993. Statistical Analysis of Circular Data. Cambridge Univ. Press.
To make this closer to exposure, perhaps you could first "rotate" the compass so that 360' is facing the direction of maximum exposure, and back-transform later?  Just a thought.
Cheers,  Jeff

Jeffrey D. Holland                                  (765) 494-7739
Assoc. Prof. of Landscape Ecology & Biodiversity    jdhollan #at# purdue.edu
Dept. of Entomology, Purdue University              Smith Hall B17, 901 W. State St., West Lafayette, IN 47907