[R-sig-eco] angular statistics

Peter Nelson pnelson at cfr-west.org
Tue Oct 15 18:59:38 CEST 2013

I want to include the exposure (measured in degrees, for example, East-facing is 90) of various coastal sites in GLM and CCA analyses. Is there an appropriate transformation that I can apply to these measurements that will allow me to do this? I've found plenty of information on comparing headings, calculating means, etc, but nothing on how exposure might be used as a continuous independent variable.

Treating exposure as a categorical variable (East, Southwest, etc) seems like a fallback option, but then there is just as much of a 'difference' between SE and E sites as there is between SE and NW sites!

Thanks, Pete