[R-sig-eco] Difference between mantel test and adonis

syrovat at sci.muni.cz syrovat at sci.muni.cz
Wed Jan 16 10:08:46 CET 2013

Hi Valérie,
adonis is analogous to RDA or CCA, as it directly estimates the variance
in the distance matrix attributable to an independent variables(s), with
the advantage that one may use any distance measure. It parallels r2 in a
linear model.
Mantel test simply calculates the correlation between two distance
matrices (and tests it via permutations), thus, one gets the idea about
wthether there is a linear relationship between them at all.
Cheers,
Vit