[R-sig-eco] adonis and temporal changes

Steve Brewer jbrewer at olemiss.edu
Mon Feb 18 15:41:52 CET 2013

Valerie,

Adonis does not define fixed or random effects, and you therefore cannot
define multiple error terms. However, if your model statement looks
something like this - isolation*year + site, strata = site - then you will
get the correct test for the isolation x year interaction and the correct
test for the year effect. The test for isolation will be wrong, because
the residual error is used to test all effects, when it is only
appropriate for testing the year effect and the year * isolation
interaction. The isolation between-subjects effect should be tested with
the site effect but is not.

The key point is here to make strata = site and to NOT specify the site-
interactions with isolation or year. In this way, site will be treated as
a block for the within-subjects effects and thus could be considered a
random effect.

Hope this helps.

J. Stephen Brewer
Professor