[R-sig-eco] adonis and temporal changes

v_coudrain at voila.fr v_coudrain at voila.fr
Mon Feb 18 11:17:55 CET 2013

Dear all,
I would like to test changes in species dissimilarity matrices over time, taking into account that the measurement are repeated in each site over years. I used the
adonis function: adonis(diss.matrix~year, strata=site). However if I do the same model entering site as an additional fixed effect (this was applied this way in a
paperI read): adonis(diss.matrix~site+year, strata=site), I get exactly the same estimate for year, but the variance explained is much higher. I am a bit lost regarding
how much of the variance in dissimilarity is really explained by temporal changes.
Thank you very much