[R-sig-eco] Fitting growth curve in a species accumulation curve (SAC)

Canning-Clode, Joao Canning-ClodeJ at si.edu
Mon Nov 28 16:33:42 CET 2011

Dear list,

I am kind of new to R. I want to fit the nonlinear Morgan-Mercer-Flodin (MMF) growth model in a species accumulation curve (SAC) run with vegan package in .R.  I would very much appreciate if you could give some feedback. My first question is what's the best approach i) grofit package or ii) nls2

i) This is what I am doing for grofit:

install.packages(grofit) # install grofit

library(grofit)
library(vegan)
library(nls2) #loads grofit, vegan and nls2 libraries

SAC.data<-read.table(file=file.choose(),header=TRUE,sep=",") # choose from directory

SAC.data # shows data

samples <- SAC.data$Samples #generates samples data

richness <- SAC.data$richness #generates richness data

TestRun <-grofit(samples, richness, TRUE) #runs the program for Gompertz function

##it's not working. I get this warning: Error in if ((dim(time)[1]) != (dim(data)[1])) stop("gcFit: Different number of datasets in data and time") :
  argument is of length zero##

  ##Can't go further and add the MMF model##

ii) other approach:

SAC<-read.table(file=file.choose(),header=TRUE,sep=",") #choose from directory
UGE<-specaccum(SAC,method="exact",permutations=1000)
MMF.formula<-function(a1,b1,c1,d1,x){
+
(a1*b1+c1*x^d1)/(b1+x^d1)
+
} ## shorthand for creating model formula

MMF.formula # shows formula

MMF.fit<-nls(richness~MMF.formula(a,b,c,d,samples),data=UGE,start=list(a=-2,b=3,c=50,d=0.5),trace=TRUE)  # MMF fitted model

##not working. Get this message: Error in nls(richness ~ MMF.formula(a, b, c, d, samples), data = SAC.data,  :
  step factor 0.000488281 reduced below 'minFactor' of 0.000976562## starting values were just guesses##

any help would be appreciated

cheers

João

João Canning Clode, Ph.D
Postdoctoral Fellow
Marine Invasions Research Lab
Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
647 Contees Wharf Road
Edgewater, MD 21037

Email: canning-clodej at si.edu<mailto:canning-clodej at si.edu>
Web: www.canning-clode.com<http://www.canning-clode.com/>