[R-sig-eco] Multiple count if style "queries"

Chris Mcowen chrismcowen at gmail.com
Sat May 21 00:39:57 CEST 2011

Hi Eduard,

That is a handy package, i hadn't come across.

The ouput from dcf is perfect.

But for dfm:

                                ECO_NAME        Order           Family
134   Central Range montane rain forests Zingiberales    Zingiberaceae
269   Central Range montane rain forests Zingiberales    Zingiberaceae
364            Biak-Numfoor rain forests  Asparagales      Orchidaceae
500   Central Range montane rain forests  Asparagales      Orchidaceae
566   Central Range montane rain forests       Poales Centrolepidaceae
567  Huon Peninsula montane rain forests       Poales Centrolepidaceae
755   Central Range montane rain forests  Asparagales     Lomandraceae
906  Huon Peninsula montane rain forests  Asparagales      Orchidaceae
1079  Central Range montane rain forests Zingiberales    Zingiberaceae
1175  Central Range montane rain forests  Asparagales      Orchidaceae
1271  Central Range montane rain forests       Poales       Cyperaceae
1421  Central Range montane rain forests       Poales    Eriocaulaceae
1581 Huon Peninsula montane rain forests  Asparagales      Orchidaceae
1621           Biak-Numfoor rain forests  Alismatales          Araceae
1622  Central Range montane rain forests  Alismatales          Araceae
1811  Central Range montane rain forests       Poales       Cyperaceae
1928  Central Range montane rain forests Commelinales    Commelinaceae
2141  Central Range montane rain forests       Poales          Poaceae
2142 Huon Peninsula montane rain forests       Poales          Poaceae
2276  Central Range montane rain forests       Poales          Poaceae
2391 Huon Peninsula montane rain forests  Asparagales      Orchidaceae
2525  Central Range montane rain forests  Asparagales      Orchidaceae
2526 Huon Peninsula montane rain forests  Asparagales      Orchidaceae
2660  Central Range montane rain forests  Asparagales      Orchidaceae

I would want to count how many time a order appears in each eco_name and then how many times a family appears in each eco_name and how many times a genus appears in each eco_name.

For example to ask the question: How many  Zingiberaceae family are there in Central Range montane rain forests? But to query this for each eco_name.

I hope this makes sense.

Chris