[R-sig-eco] testing for synchrony

Stratford, Jeffrey jeffrey.stratford at wilkes.edu
Thu Jun 30 01:17:41 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

I've been asked a few times about how to test for synchrony of
ecological events.  In one case, a researcher has more than a decade of
acorn mast data for several species of oaks and wants to know if
different oaks have synchronous mast years when sympatric.  The other
case, a researcher wants to know if frog calling intensity is
synchronous across a number of ponds. I thought I would first take a
stab at looking at synchrony broadly then I would dig deeper and look at
synchrony and spatial effects.

Any suggestions how to get started?

Many thanks,

Jeff
Jeffrey A. Stratford, Ph.D.
Department of Health and Biological Sciences
84 W. South St.
Wilkes Univertsity, PA 18766
570-332-2942
http://web.wilkes.edu/jeffrey.stratford/