[R-sig-eco] What statistical analysis should I take??

Dunbar, Michael J. mdu at ceh.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 10:54:40 CET 2011

Dear Yong

The simplest approach would be to calculate a phi value for each stream, and then apply conventional anova.

There is some background on phi here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_size_%28grain_size%29

There is an example of a simple algorithm to calculate phi from discrete categories here (Appendix E), this may need modifying slightly for your categories:
http://www.wfduk.org/bio_assessment/bio_assessment/rivers_invertebrates

regards
Mike