[R-sig-eco] Relating abundance and cover data

Carsten Dormann carsten.dormann at ufz.de
Fri Oct 29 08:25:32 CEST 2010

Dear Karen,

seconding the comments of Phil and Etienne: One key question is whether
you can assume no error on the values of your predictors (i.e. run a
model 1-regression). If you can, Ben Bolker's comments point in the
right way; if you cannot, my heart goes out for the "simplistic"
approach of Etienne and try to pad your results with a bit of
"robustness testing".
(E.g. perturb/jitter your values and see if it makes a difference to
your regression. This may not be "official" stats, but should show clear
differences when the pattern is not robust. For example, the many 0s in
your data may be caused by detection problems (rather than true
absences) and hence giving them a random low cover/abundance (e.g. 1/2
of the respective minimum value) should NOT change your results. If it
does, I would interpret this as the data not supporting a clear
correlation between abundance and cover.)

HTH,

Carsten

--
Dr. Carsten F. Dormann
Department of Computational Landscape Ecology

Tel: ++49(0)341 2351946
Fax: ++49(0)341 2351939
Email: carsten.dormann at ufz.de
internet: http://www.ufz.de/index.php?de=4205

Registered Office/Sitz der Gesellschaft: Leipzig
Commercial Register Number/Registergericht: Amtsgericht Leipzig,
Handelsregister Nr. B 4703
Chairman of the Supervisory Board/Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinR
Wilfried Kraus
Scientific Managing Director/Wissenschaftlicher Geschäftsführer: Prof.
Dr. Georg Teutsch
Administrative Managing Director/Administrativer Geschäftsführer: Dr.
Andreas Schmidt