[R-sig-eco] Relating abundance and cover data

Etienne Laliberté etiennelaliberte at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 02:57:09 CEST 2010

Dear Karen,

I was recently confronted with a similar problem, see paper:

http://www.elaliberte.info/Laliberte_et_al_2010_RangEcolManag.pdf?attredirects=0

We ended up using major axis regression on transformed data, among other
things. Then we simply plotted the relative abundance vs relative cover
of different species and compared against the 1:1 line.

I do realize that this is simplistic, a bit ad hoc and not very pretty
(in part because normality is assumed with MA regression). That said, I
thought it did allow us to quickly see which sampling method
over/under-estimates different species, which was the main goal. But I'd
be interested in knowing what approach you end up using.

If anything, you could cite that rather unexciting paper as a good
example of what the "bad approach" is -- it may end up being the only
time it ever gets cited! :)

Cheers

Etienne

--