[R-sig-eco] Autoregressive modelling (Gavin Simpson)

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Nov 24 18:06:04 CET 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 12:42 -0400, Highland Statistics wrote:
> > Yes, indeed. I've been battling with some palaeoceanographic data of a
> > PhD student in our group. Sometimes these models work well and we can
> > partition into trend + autocorrelated noise. Other times, you wait a
> > week for the model to converge (yep lots of data!) and it either
> > interpolates the points and has an effectively zero correlation
> > parameter or it fits an almost flat, straight line through the data and
> > a large, well bounded away from zero, correlation parameter. (I'm using
> > gamm() models.)

Thanks Alain,

> Gavin,
>
> In my experience...cross-validation in the GAMM is causing the main
> trouble here. It seems to work better to go for the option that S-PLUS
> used to do...set the degrees of freedom to 4...and stick to that (unless
> the residuals show patterns).

Simon Wood communicated to me some time back that using method = "ML" or
"REML" gave much better behaving p-values etc in the fitted model, so
I've long given up using GCV/UBRE for model fitting. But ML and REML are
slower...

Setting some reasonably low DF for the spline is working quite well, and
using the adaptive splines in recent mgcv packages allows me to spend my
wiggliness allowance where it is needed, not spread out everywhere.

> For large data sets, filling in the correlation matrix may be time
> consuming. Imagine calculating
>
> rho^{Time difference}
>
> if {Time difference} is very large..and you ahve lots of observations.

I think this is where the code is getting bogged down - I have
irregularly spaced data, so have been using a corCAR() structure. There
are 7000+ observations. inverting that matrix at each iteration of the
algorithm is asking to be punished with a long wait.

> This is the AR-1 correlation structure. Better set it to 0 for relative
> large values of the time difference (or spatial difference). I guess
> these numerical optimisation routines will have a hard time filling in
> a  big correlation matrix with values of 0.000000***, and then
> optimising it over rho.  There is a nice example in Wood (2006) in which
> he limits the AR1 correlation to 12 months in a longer time series
> (Cairo temperature). This sometimes speeds up the calculation process
> considerable.

In that example, Simon has a logical variable that he can use to
restrict the correlations within. This isn't quite so simple with the
palaeo data I am currently looking at.

Although not tried yet - busy elsewhere - I wouldn't have thought
estimating the exponential variogram on the residuals would take too
long and then filling a matrix with the correct rho^{tdiff} should be
quite quick; at least I'd only have to do it once at the end of the
model fitting.

Being subjective in fitting models is something I am coming to terms
with!

Thanks for your thoughts,