[R-sig-eco] anova designs for blocked sampling

Nick Cutler nick.cutler at ouce.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 15 13:35:27 CET 2010

I am investigating possible connections between long-term vegetation
development and microclimate. I am interested in the relationship
between temperature (the response variable) and two factors:
Microtopographic Position (two levels: "hillock" & "hollow") and Terrain
Age (three levels: "26 years", "161 years" & "848 years"). Temperature
data were collected using automated data loggers: six data loggers were
used for each level of Terrain Age (6 x 3 = 18 data loggers in total).
The data loggers were deployed in pairs (one on a hillock, and one in an
adjacent hollow) in three random locations on each terrain.

I would like to say something about how mean temperatures vary between
hillock and hollow locations on terrain of different ages. However, I'm
struggling to understand the implications of the restricted
randomisation of a blocked design. Can someone advise me on the
appropriate ANOVA formulation (and interpretation) in R?

Many thanks,

Nick
--
Dr Nick Cutler