[R-sig-eco] Help with mixed-effects model in lme

Dunbar, Michael mdu at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Sep 18 11:27:11 CEST 2009

Dear Jonathan

A couple of things.

If your have treatments applied to sub-plots then it makes sense to have subplot in the random component, i.e. random = ~1|plot/subplot.

The other issue you have is ALL interactions. With four factors, this is an awful lot of interactions which together will eat a lot of degrees of freedom which would be better in your residual. In the most extreme case, unless you have replicate samples within each year and sub-plot, you may not even be able to estimate the four way interaction correctly. Are you sure that if you see a one of the three way interactions or the four way interaction that you can explain what it means ecologically?

cheers
Mike