[R-sig-eco] Help with mixed-effects model in lme

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Fri Sep 18 10:03:41 CEST 2009

Dear Jonathan,

I would move the block factor from the ramdom effects to the fixed
effects. You have only two levels of that, which can give rather
unprecise estimates of the variance of the random effects. Moving block
to the fixed effects will cost you only one degree of freedom. So that
would not be a big problem.

lme(species.richness ~ water*fuel*seed*year + block, random = ~1 |plot)

HTH,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey