[R-sig-eco] Reducing spatial autocorrelation

Marcelino de la Cruz marcelino.delacruz at upm.es
Thu Oct 15 10:58:37 CEST 2009

My apologies to Carsten for misspelling his name,
but I still see its paper appropriate in the multivariate case.

I was thinking on  something like computing your
favourite ordination or NMDS on the species or
environmental or both (i.e RDA), and then compute
a correlogram on your ordination scores. This
would let you select the minimum distance between
sites to minimize autocorrelation (this could
also be obtained from a multivariate Mantel correlogram).
And /or you could also generate autocovariates
from your ordination score(s) and include them as
predictors in that "some statistical analyses" to
account for the autocorrelation.

Marcelino