[R-sig-eco] using two distance metrices in formula

Jens Oldeland oldeland at gmx.de
Wed Oct 14 09:12:05 CEST 2009

Dear Sarah, Jari and Peter,

let me summarize what has been written so far

1) Jari said that: dbRDA needs rectangular data on right hand side of
the formula --> dist.matrix on RHS leads to a lack of independence *no
optimal solution*
2) Sarah suggests *MRM *
3) Peter suggests *Monmonier's maximum-difference barriers algorithm*
(especially useful for genetic distances) *
*
it seems that there is still need for case studies testing and
discussion on that topic,

My colleague and I will first dig a bit deeper into that problem,
reading the suggested literature, then testing the different options and
after that I will write our findings on R-sig-eco list again.

We like to thank you all for that very interesting discussion!!

many thanks so far!

Jens & Jan

PS: any further hints on literature would be great!

Peter Solymos schrieb:
> Dear All,
>
> Perhaps, there is another way of approaching this problem: the
> Monmonier's maximum-difference barriers algorithm.
>
> Monmonier, M. (1973) Maximum-difference barriers: an alternative
> numerical regionalization method. Geographic Analysis, 3, 245–261.
> Manni, F., Guerard, E. and Heyer, E. (2004) Geographic patterns of
> (genetic, morphologic, linguistic) variation: how barriers can be
> detected by "Monmonier's algorithm". Human Biology, 76, 173–190
>
> Nice documantation and a free software Barrier here:
> http://www.mnhn.fr/mnhn/ecoanthropologie/software/barrier.html
> The R implementation has been done by Thibaut Jombart in the adegenet
> package (function monmonier), that is slightly different in handling
> tessellation at the margin. Permutation test are discussed in the
> Manni paper as I recall and implemented in Barrier. This is especially
> useful for genetic distances (and NOT for biotic data, because of
> profoundly different dispersal mechanisms involved in shaping genetic
> vs. community structures).
>
> Yours,
>
> Peter
>
> Péter Sólymos
> Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute
> Department of Biological Sciences
> CW 405, Biological Sciences Bldg
> University of Alberta
> Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2E9, Canada
> Phone: 780.492.8534
> Fax: 780.492.7635
> email <- paste("solymos", "ualberta.ca", sep = "@")
>

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Jari Oksanen <jari.oksanen at oulu.fi> wrote:
>

>> On 13/10/09 18:44 PM, "Jens Oldeland" <oldeland at gmx.de> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> our distance matrices are 1) genetic distance (Jaccard) and 2)
>>> 3D-Euclidean Distance and the question we want to solve is if there is
>>> an effect called "Isolation by Distance" (IBD) in our data (genetic and
>>> "real"-distances of snails on the island of crete) or not. There was a
>>> debate on the topic if the mantel test or the partial mantel test (isn´t
>>> this similar to MRM?) in several papers mainly in evolution-journals:
>>>
>>> Raufaste, N. and F. Rousset. 2001. Are partial Mantel tests adequate?
>>> Evolution 55:1703­1705
>>> Castellano, S. and E. Balletto. 2002. Is the partial Mantel test
>>> inadequate? Evolution 56:1871­1873.
>>>

>>> Geffen, E., Anderson, M.J., & Wayne, R.K. (2004). Climate and habitat
>>> barriers to dispersal in the highly mobile grey wolf. Molecular Ecology,
>>> 13, 2481-2490
>>> explain it nicely on page p.2483 (LHS)
>>>
>>> "The problem arises due to the lack of independence of individual
>>> distances in a distance matrix. Although a simple Mantel test overcomes
>>> this issue by the
>>> use of permutations, a permutational approach does not necessarily solve
>>> problems introduced by several uncontrolled nuisance parameters in the
>>> case of more than one
>>> regressor (i.e. partial tests). Thus, we do not use a Mantel approach
> [...]

Dipl.Biol. Jens Oldeland
University of Hamburg
Biocentre Klein Flottbek and Botanical Garden
Ohnhorststr. 18
22609 Hamburg,
Germany

Tel:    0049-(0)40-42816-407
Fax:    0049-(0)40-42816-543
Mail: 	Oldeland at botanik.uni-hamburg.de
        Jens.Oldeland at DLR.de  (for attachments > 2mb!!)
http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/bzf/fbda005/fbda005.htm