[R-sig-eco] Fwd: how to calculate "axis variance" in metaMDS, pakage vegan?

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Dec 8 17:40:18 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 17:09 +0100, Carsten Dormann wrote:
> Dear disputants.

I'm not sure anyone is disagreeing here?

> If this is a poll, I'd like to second Gabriel's email, with respect to
> his comments on the usefulness of the R-sig-ecology mailing list AND his
> comments on (n)MDS + adonis AND his point on slowly developing the
> standard of your research field, rather than immediately dwarfing
> publication chances by using more "appropriate" but revolutionising
> methods in the field.
> My own experiences are that 1. reviewers become ever more statistically
> literate (so I guess one should have no problems in moving from a PCA to
> a PCoA/MDS); and 2. ecological patterns are relatively robust to the
> ordination method (so not much is lost by using more, well, traditional
> approaches).

My critique was aimed at the switch to *DCA* when nMDS wasn't working as
the OP thought, because that was what the OP had seen used a lot in
publications in his field. That's all.

DCA has it's uses (if you must use CA but have a single strong gradient
in your data so an arch crops up), but it is my experience that many
people jump straight to using DCA without doing CA and without really
understanding the monstrous things it is doing to their data to get rid
of the arch. If there isn't an arch (arising from the problem with CA)
what DCA does to axis 2 scores etc would make me question using it
blindly.

nMDS is an established method in ecology so I wouldn't expect any
problems with using that.

Ciao,

--
 Dr. Gavin Simpson             [t] +44 (0)20 7679 0522