[R-sig-eco] Fwd: how to calculate "axis variance" in metaMDS, pakage vegan?

Carsten Dormann carsten.dormann at ufz.de
Tue Dec 8 17:09:39 CET 2009

Dear disputants.

If this is a poll, I'd like to second Gabriel's email, with respect to
his comments on the usefulness of the R-sig-ecology mailing list AND his
comments on (n)MDS + adonis AND his point on slowly developing the
standard of your research field, rather than immediately dwarfing
publication chances by using more "appropriate" but revolutionising
methods in the field.
My own experiences are that 1. reviewers become ever more statistically
literate (so I guess one should have no problems in moving from a PCA to
a PCoA/MDS); and 2. ecological patterns are relatively robust to the
ordination method (so not much is lost by using more, well, traditional
approaches).

Cheers,

Carsten

--
Dr. Carsten F. Dormann
Department of Computational Landscape Ecology

Tel: ++49(0)341 2351946
Fax: ++49(0)341 2351939
Email: carsten.dormann at ufz.de
internet: http://www.ufz.de/index.php?de=4205