[R-sig-eco] Publication quality graphics in R

Mark A. Albins albinsm at science.oregonstate.edu
Fri May 30 22:53:27 CEST 2008

R-sig-eco list,

This is a bit of a tangent from the current conversation, but can
someone elaborate on
this quote from the following message,

"Plots in R come out so nicely, publication quality if you specify
them correctly."

In particular, I'd like to hear from the list, how folks specify and
export presentation
quality and publication quality graphics with R.  I've had problems
when exporting
graphics using the copy-to-clipboard option (both bitmap and metafile)
and also when
saving them as jpgs.  They almost always seem to look a little funny
(e.g. pixelation,
symbols coming out distorted etc.).  The only option that I've had
much success with is
saving them as pdf's, but that format is less than ideal when trying
to incorporate a
graphic into another document (e.g. Word or Powerpoint), and is often
not the format
requested by journals.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,