[R-sig-eco] What is RMark?

Jeff Laake Jeff.Laake at noaa.gov
Fri May 30 18:14:35 CEST 2008

For those of you that may not have heard about RMark and are interested
in mark-recapture problems, it is an R interface to the software MARK.
It enables models to be built with formula like you do with glm rather
than creating the design matrix by hand with the MARK interface. All of
the model fitting is done in MARK (with mark.exe) and cannot be used
separately from it.  That is why I have not put it on CRAN and instead
have chosen to make it available from Evan Cooch's MARK website
(http://www.phidot.org/software/mark/rmark/).  You can find 115 pages of
documentation in an Appendix of the Cooch and White electronic book
available from the same website.  Also, as with most R packages RMark
contains documentation for each function.  RMark supports most but not
all models in MARK.  If you find that a model you want is not supported
contact me and I'll add it in.  I plan to include all of the models at
some stage If you want help with anything in RMark, you can post here or
to the MARK listserver also available from Evan's MARK website.

With regard to nest survival, I agree with Jessi's comment that you
should use what works for you.  I believe Jay Rotella has a paper out
that shows alternate ways of fitting nest survival data.  Jessi, if you
or anyone else wants to set up one of the examples (mallard or killdeer)
that accompany RMark for nest survival with the logistic-exposure link
function I'll include it with the package.  It would provide a nice
tutorial for folks doing that type of work.  I work with marine mammals
so obviously  I don't do much in the way of nest survival analysis.

regards --jeff