[R-sig-eco] [R-sig-phylo] GEE and AIC

tgarland at ucr.edu tgarland at ucr.edu
Fri May 30 02:18:37 CEST 2008

Hello BriAnne,

	I thought I would pass on some comments.  I will assume that you have a continuous-valued (or at least quantitative) dependent variable.

> because I have a relatively small sample size

I don't understand why this would steer you away from contrasts (or the equivalent GLS-type approaches), as the power of them is identical to that of conventional statistics, assuming that you know the correct phylogeny in both cases (the former assumes the hierarchical tree you specify, whereas the latter assumes a star phylogeny [usually with contemporaneous tips, but not if you do weighted regression]).  In their simplest form, both phylogenetic and non-phylogenetic statistical methods assume, in effect, a Brownian-motion type model of character evolution.

> because I have ... a variety of continuous and multilevel
> discrete factors

This is not a problem for contrasts of GLS-type methods.  It can be a pain in the a** to code a whole bunch of categorical variables as dummy variables and then compute contrasts (depending on your software), but it is not a problem from the perspective of the math/stats.

	I'll now take this offline for a few additional comments and software suggestions related to Matlab and this paper:

Lavin, S. R., W. H. Karasov, A. R. Ives, K. M. Middleton, and T. Garland, Jr. 2008. Morphometrics of the avian small intestine, compared with non-flying mammals: A phylogenetic perspective. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology. In press.  [http://biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland/Lavin_et_al_2008.pdf]

Cheers,
Ted

Cheers,
Ted

Theodore Garland, Jr., Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Biology
University of California
Riverside, CA 92521
Phone:  (951) 827-3524 = Ted's office (with answering machine)
Phone:  (951) 827-5724 = Ted's lab
Phone:  (951) 827-5903 = Dept. office
Home Phone:  (951) 328-0820
FAX:  (951) 827-4286 = Dept. office
Email:  tgarland at ucr.edu
http://biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html
List of all publications with PDF files:
http://biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland/GarlandPublications.html
Associate Director
Network for Experimental Research on Evolution
http://nere.bio.uci.edu/
(A University of California Multicampus Research Project)