[R-sig-eco] nlme model specification

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Mon May 26 01:46:26 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 14:42 -0700, David Hewitt wrote:

> Kingsford Jones wrote:
> >
> > I don't think it is useful to put this in a Bayesian vs. frequentist
> > framework. Burnham and Anderson write:
> >
> > "AIC can be justified as Bayesian using a
> > 'savvy' prior on models that is a function of sample size and the number
> > of
> > model parameters Furthermore, BIC can be derived as a non-Bayesian result.
> > Therefore, arguments about using AIC versus BIC for model selection cannot
> > be
> > from a Bayes versus frequentist perspective."
> >
> > see:
> > http://www2.fmg.uva.nl/modelselection/presentations/AWMS2004-Burnham-paper.pdf
> >

> Model selection doesn't reduce to AIC vs. BIC, or to Bayesian vs.
> frequentist. AIC and BIC are only two approaches for model selection, after
> all. That was part of my main point. Nonetheless, the fact remains that
> Bayesian methods differ from "pure" likelihood methods, in principle and in
> practice. If you're going to use BIC, how will you choose your priors?

BIC assumes a unit reference prior. That is, a prior containing
information equivalent to one observation.

--
Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.