[R-sig-eco] nlme model specification

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Mon May 26 01:45:38 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 13:41 -0700, Kingsford Jones wrote:

> >> Is there theory to support this suggestion?  I find choosing an *IC to
> >> be a confusing issue and would appreciate any pointers to theory,
> >> simulations, etc that may shed some light on the subject.
> >>

> > Choosing a model selection method is indeed a confusing process. However, it
> > does not simply depend on the number of measurements. Oversimplifying
> > things, AIC/AICc are used for model selection following maximum likelihood
> > model fitting and BIC (and Bayes factors) are used in a Bayesian context
> > (likelihood + priors). The two approaches are different in a number of ways.
> >

> I don't think it is useful to put this in a Bayesian vs. frequentist
> framework. Burnham and Anderson write:
>
> "AIC can be justified as Bayesian using a
> 'savvy' prior on models that is a function of sample size and the number of
> model parameters Furthermore, BIC can be derived as a non-Bayesian result.
> Therefore, arguments about using AIC versus BIC for model selection cannot be
> from a Bayes versus frequentist perspective."

I've read that paper, and that part really annoyed me. Firstly, the
"savvy" prior approach requires you to look at the data to establish the
prior. In what sense is that then a prior distribution? Secondly, the
"savvy" prior must have THE SAME precision as the likelihood. Why would
we want a prior with this property? Surely the precision of the prior
should reflect our precision of prior knowledge, and not be dependent on
the data. (Also, using American slang for a concept does not necessarily
make it statistically sound.)

The fact that it requires you to contort Bayesian theory into infeasible
knots in order to reconcile it with AIC model selection suggests to me
that the two really aren't very compatible.

> see: http://www2.fmg.uva.nl/modelselection/presentations/AWMS2004-Burnham-paper.pdf
>

> > So NO, there is no theory specifically pointing to BIC and a Bayesian
> > strategy because there are "lots of measurements". However, there is more
> > theory than you (and I) care to know about regarding when to use a Bayesian
> > framework versus a "pure" likelihood framework. And, as in all academic
> > disputes, there is no clear consensus.
> >
> > There's AIC/AICc, BIC, DIC, TIC, etc. and then simulation-based criteria as
> > well (about which I know zip). You can read Burnham and Anderson (2002) to
> > get their opinions about AIC and the information-theoretic strategy, and
> > among many other references I think EJ Wagenmakers sums up the Bayesian
> > perspective well in the 2007 paper listed here ("pratical solution to the
> > p-value problem"):
> >
> > http://users.fmg.uva.nl/ewagenmakers/papers.html
> >
> > It's a good read, even if you disagree with his conclusions about the
> > Bayesian strategy.
> >
> > All that said, since you're dealing with random effects, Bayesian approaches
> > do appear to have the upper hand at present, and a shift in that direction
> > may be warranted.
>
> Can you expound on the last paragraph?
>
> thank you,
>
> Kingsford Jones
>

> > -----
> > David Hewitt
> > Research Fishery Biologist
> > USGS Klamath Falls Field Station (USA)
> > --
Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia
Room 320 Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
http://www.uq.edu.au/~uqsblomb
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.