[R-sig-eco] wavCWT (wmtsa) iterations?

Julian Burgos jmburgos at u.washington.edu
Wed May 21 01:57:21 CEST 2008

Hi Stephen,

How large is your dataset?  I routinely do wavelet analysis on series of
  ~10000 observations on a computer with 1 gigabyte of ram.
You are aware that if you divide your data you are limiting the temporal
scales that you can look at, right?  If you divide your data into one
week pieces then you won't be able to obtain information on the
variability at larger scales.  The larger scale you will be able to
analyze will be even shorter than a week after you remove boundary
coefficients.  This may be good enough if you are interested in
processes occurring at small temporal scales, but clearly not adequate
if your interest is in larger temporal scales (or if you are doing
exploratory analyzes).
Getting wavelet coefficients in chunks of data and then plotting them
together is not kosher either because the coefficients obtained near the
edges between chunks will be biased.

Julian