[R-sig-eco] R-sig-ecology Digest, Vol 2, Issue 4

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Tue May 6 17:40:42 CEST 2008

 Hi Melanie,
It has been a long time since i looked at gravity models but if I
remember correctly,
they are formulated as log linear models with a particular weight
matrix. I would guess
that that could be written as a generalized linear mixed model, and fit
with lme, or lmer, though if a parameterized covariance matrix matrix is
needed, lmer will not work. The geoRglm package is also worth a look.
And doing a search on Rseek I found that the package nettheory fits
several gravity models, I think the command is CONSTRUCT. And look at
spdep,
though I don't think gravity models per say are addressed in that
package.

You may get more mileage sending your query to R-sig-geo.

hope this helps

Nicholas