[R-sig-eco] Good Book for learning R

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Tue May 6 17:33:06 CEST 2008

Venables and Ripley (2002) Modern Applied Stats with S, Springer and, in
particular, Venables and Ripley (2000) S Programming, Springer, are two
good resources for picking up tips, features of the language etc,
especially the latter.

Those looking at programming in R might also take a look at Braun and
Murdoch (2007) A First Course in Statistical Programming with R.
Cambridge University Press.

And John Chambers new (soon to be released if not already) book Software
for Data Analysis: Programming with R. Springer, which although I
haven't got a copy yet myself would seem to be ideally suited to the
sort of text one or two posters are looking for.

Whilst several people have mentioned The R Book, if this is anything
like Crawley's Statistical Computing tome (and from the table of
contents it very much looks like it is), then it has wide-ranging cover
of various aspects of statistics and computing in R (i.e. doing <insert
favourite stats technique here> in R), but isn't really designed as a
book to learn R programming per se, and I would not consider buying such
a book if my aim was to learn more about programming with R (although
what people mean by programming in R might differ from what I think of
it as...).