[R-sig-eco] polar plot mappng

Fraser Smith f.smith at utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 8 20:35:16 CEST 2008

Dear list members,
I am very new to R, so apologies for the broad nature of these
questions.

I am currently attempting to run through some of my data from the
Yukon Territory analyzing spatial layout of live/dead trees and stumps
following partial stand harvesting.
The surveying of these trees involved circular plots with a 20m fixed-
radius. Recordings for location involved a laser range-finder and
electronic compass, and therefore all records have distance- (0-20
from centre) and bearing- values (0-360 degrees) to pinpoint location.
In order to plot and analyze this data, I wish to use the distance and
bearing values as they are for a measurement from a center point,
instead of converting to an x-y coordinate system or transforming the
data into radians etc.
I am wondering if anyone could recommend any resources, functions,
packages, search terms, etc. for effectively 'mapping' these stems?

Also, while visualizing this data is a first step, I would like to
later incorporate rose diagrams/circular statistics for tree fall
direction, prevailing winds, slope, aspect, etc as an overlay or
direct comparison to these plot maps. Essentially, I suppose I want to
get R to think in polar plot coordinates instead of cartesian
coordinates for this data
Any help with resources on these procedures specifically related to R
would be greatly appreciated.

Fraser Smith

MScF student
Faculty of Forestry, University of Toronto
f.smith at utoronto.ca