[R-sig-dyn-mod] iterative procedure vs deSolve

Paula Sanchez Marin paulasanchez at uvigo.es
Fri Mar 18 13:55:48 CET 2016

Thank you Johannes, I've tried your suggestion of changing rtol and atol
values but the deSolve solution is always the same.

In fact, I have obtained the answer to my question from Thomas Petzoldt
and Stephen P. Ellner (thank you!).

I copy here the answer from Stephen:

"the problem is that this

>> Cgills=Cgills_ini*exp(-(k01+k12)*t)+(Cu*k01+Crest*k21*wrest/wgills)/(k10+k12)*(1-exp(-(k10+k12)*t))
>> Crest=Crest_ini*exp(-k21*t)+Cgills*k12*wgills/wrest/k21*(1-exp(-k21*t))

is not the analytic solution to the differential equations. The first line is the solution to the first differential equation, assuming that
Crest is constant. The second line is the solution to the second differential equation, assuming that Cgills is constant. But since
Cgills and Crest change over time, those are not the solution to the system of differential equations. The answer to trust is the
one that you're getting from the ODE solvers in R."