[R-sig-Debian] SOLVED- Re: help installing R on Linux Mint 21.2

Facundo Muñoz |@cundo@munoz @end|ng |rom c|r@d@|r
Tue Jan 2 10:27:56 CET 2024

Hi Luben,

For what is worth, I've been a RStudio-on-Mint user for many years now
and never had major problems. You just need to proceed as if you were
using the upstream Ubuntu version corresponding to your Mint version. E.g. :

cat /etc/upstream-release/lsb-release

I agree with Dirk in that it would be best if Posit supported an apt repo.

Otherwise, downloading the .deb and opening it up with the system's
default installer 'just works', as you find out.

For a more programmatic approach to install from the terminal or from a
script, you can do something along the lines of:

# RStudio (latest version)
wget http://www.rstudio.org/download/desktop
rsversion=`grep -Eo -m1
'[[:digit:]]{4}\\.[[:digit:]]{2}\\.[[:digit:]]+-[[:digit:]]+' desktop`
rm desktop
case $arch in
     i386)
         rsarch=$arch;;
     *)
         rsarch='amd64'
esac

rsfname=rstudio-$rsversion-$rsarch.deb
wget https://download1.rstudio.org/desktop/$ubuntu_codename/$rsarch/$rsfname
sudo gdebi -n $rsfname
rm $rsfname

This is taken from a longer bash script of mine [1] that installs and
configures about everything I need for work, including R and RStudio,
but also VSCode and other things.

The variable $arch is from a time were I used computers with different
architectures (32/64 bits). I guess I could get rid of it nowadays.

Also, the very rudimentary scraping part in the beginning that tries to
find out the name of the file to be downloaded from Posit's web is
fragile, and it fails whenever they change the file-naming pattern or
path structure. It might need to be adapted if necessary. It worked a
few months ago when I last used it.

Hope it helps.

ƒacu.-

[1] https://github.com/famuvie/setup-linux/blob/master/main.sh