[R-sig-Debian] Is r2u at 3.4.1? [branch about handling package collisions under Ubuntu/Debian]

Chris Evans chr|@ho|d @end|ng |rom p@yctc@org
Thu Aug 24 12:55:58 CEST 2023

On 24/08/2023 12:09, Ivan Krylov wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 11:34:45 +0200
> Chris Evans <chrishold using psyctc.org> wrote:
>
>> I see I now have:
>> libmagick++-dev is already the newest version
>> (8:6.9.11.60+dfsg-1.3ubuntu0.22.04.3+esm2)
>> That fits with what you are saying about the current version doesn't
>> it?
> You're right that you already had some security updates from a
> different repo, https://esm.ubuntu.com/apps/ubuntu. Still, before you
> updated your sources.list, APT could see libmagick++-dev version
> 8:6.9.11.60+dfsg-1.3ubuntu0.22.04.3+esm2 from ESM but not
> 8:6.9.11.60+dfsg-1.3ubuntu0.22.04.3 from jammy-security, which could
> have been part of the problem.

Aha!

>> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security main restricted
>> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security universe
>> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security multiverse
>
>> That's covering all of main, universe, multiverse and restricted for
>> security updates isn't it?
> I think that's right. Congratulations on fixing your sources.list!
Thanks!  "Small steps, small steps" I tell myself!

Two final questions:

1) is there something I might|should have been doing to check that my
local Ubuntu repository
    was up date?

2) as it seems is isn't/wasn't, is there anything I should do now to
alert people to that?

Huge thanks to Dirk, yourself and the list for putting up with this.  I
hope it may be a useful
history to be in the searchable internet resources if others hit similar
issues.

Chris
--
Chris Evans (he/him)
Visiting Professor, UDLA, Quito, Ecuador & Honorary Professor,