[R-sig-Debian] Font issue under X11() (Ubuntu 20.04)

Tue Aug 23 17:44:41 CEST 2022

On 23 August 2022 at 15:04, Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| Using R under (X)ubuntu 20.04 here. I just noticed that the equal symbol (and other symbols like <>) are hanging kinda low under X11(). For example, if I run this code:
|
| plot(NA, xlim=c(0,2), ylim=c(0,2))
| text(1,1,"P = 0.01", cex=2)
| abline(h=1)
|
| then the = symbol is completely below the horizontal line, which looks a bit off. I can fix this with X11.options(family="...") by using a different font, but I am just wondering if there is something misconfigued on my system or if other people are seeing the same thing.
|
| Running R with 'FC_DEBUG=1 R' shows that
|
| family: "Nimbus Sans"(w)
|
| is apparently used as the default.

Looks to be the same for me under 22.04, but I am not sure what if anything I
can do for you here.  The package builds do nothing special with respect to
font configuration, setup, or load. "It's just R and x11."

Maybe a private email to Paul Murrell is the best way forward as this is
likely deep inside R ...

dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org