[R-sig-Debian] Font issue under X11() (Ubuntu 20.04)

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Tue Aug 23 17:04:46 CEST 2022

Hi all,

Using R under (X)ubuntu 20.04 here. I just noticed that the equal symbol (and other symbols like <>) are hanging kinda low under X11(). For example, if I run this code:

plot(NA, xlim=c(0,2), ylim=c(0,2))
text(1,1,"P = 0.01", cex=2)
abline(h=1)

then the = symbol is completely below the horizontal line, which looks a bit off. I can fix this with X11.options(family="...") by using a different font, but I am just wondering if there is something misconfigued on my system or if other people are seeing the same thing.

Running R with 'FC_DEBUG=1 R' shows that

family: "Nimbus Sans"(w)

is apparently used as the default.

Best,
Wolfgang