[R-sig-Debian] I cannot install any R package on Ubuntu: help, please!

Fri Mar 5 04:37:01 CET 2021

On 5 March 2021 at 04:19, Johannes Ranke wrote:
| Am Donnerstag, 4. März 2021, 17:52:36 CET schrieb Valerio Villani:
| > I installed R and RStudio on my PC running Ubuntu 20.04. Unfortunately, I
| > cannot install any package with the install.packages() function. I tried
| > many things, but nothing worked so far.
| > I always get the following error message:
| >
| > Warning in install.packages :
| >   installation of package ‘#PACKAGE_NAME#’ had non-zero exit status
| >
| > *You can find more information about the issue in the link I posted in this
| > tweet <https://twitter.com/ValerioVillani/status/1367410759857287171?s=20>.*
|
| I looked up the twitter link where you posted another link where you give more
| information. Citing from the error message:
|
| Installing package into ‘/home/valerio/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.0’
| (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
| trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/here_1.0.1.tar.gz'
| Warning in install.packages :
|   URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/here_1.0.1.tar.gz': status was
| 'Couldn't resolve host name'
|
| This means that your Linux system did not manage to look up the IP address of
| the server (cloud.r-project.org) from where it wanted to download the package.
| As a consequence, the package could not be downloaded.
|
| A likely cause for this is that the internet connection of your Linux system
| is not set up correctly.

Could not agree more. In fact, I made the same comment this morning at this
likely cross-posted (booh, bad style) post at StackOverflow:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66479605/i-cant-install-any-package-on-linux-ubuntu-with-the-install-packages-functi#comment117527678_66479605

https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org