[R-sig-Debian] I cannot install any R package on Ubuntu: help, please!

Johannes Ranke joh@nne@@r@nke @end|ng |rom jrwb@de
Fri Mar 5 04:19:51 CET 2021

Am Donnerstag, 4. März 2021, 17:52:36 CET schrieb Valerio Villani:
> Hi all,

Hello!

> I am new to this mailing list and Linux too.
>
> I installed R and RStudio on my PC running Ubuntu 20.04. Unfortunately, I
> cannot install any package with the install.packages() function. I tried
> many things, but nothing worked so far.
> I always get the following error message:
>
> Warning in install.packages :
>   installation of package ‘#PACKAGE_NAME#’ had non-zero exit status
>
> *You can find more information about the issue in the link I posted in this
> tweet <https://twitter.com/ValerioVillani/status/1367410759857287171?s=20>.*

I looked up the twitter link where you posted another link where you give more
information. Citing from the error message:

Installing package into ‘/home/valerio/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.0’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/here_1.0.1.tar.gz'
Warning in install.packages :
  URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/here_1.0.1.tar.gz': status was
'Couldn't resolve host name'

This means that your Linux system did not manage to look up the IP address of
the server (cloud.r-project.org) from where it wanted to download the package.
As a consequence, the package could not be downloaded.

A likely cause for this is that the internet connection of your Linux system
is not set up correctly.

Johannes

> Thanks for your help, I look forward to hearing from you.
>
> All the best,
> Valerio Villani
>

> ___________________________________
>
> *Mr Valerio Villani*
>
> PhD Student at the Lab of Action and Body <http://manostsakiris.com/>
>

> Department of Psychology
>
> *Royal Holloway, University of London*
>
> <Valerio.Villani.2019 using live.rhul.ac.uk>
> <https://twitter.com/ValerioVillani>
> <https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=yG5NoagAAAAJ&hl=en>
> <https://pure.royalholloway.ac.uk/portal/en/persons/valerio-villani(d22b83b1
> -9d90-4247-a5cb-d2150cf351ca).html>