[R-sig-Debian] Can't install package tidyverse on Debian 10 stable

Luben Dimov |uben@d|mov @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Jul 24 05:19:03 CEST 2021

(my reply accidentally came out of the wrong email account, sorry, so I
am resending it so it makes it to the list)

-----Original Message-----
From: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org>
To: Tyler Smith <tyler using plantarum.ca>
Cc: r-sig-debian using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-sig-Debian]  Can't install package tidyverse on Debian
10 stable
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 19:29:08 -0500

Luben,
Adding to what Tyler kindly said:
On 23 July 2021 at 19:35, Tyler Smith wrote:
> libcurl and libcurl4-openssl-dev are Debian packages, not R packages.
> You can install them from the command line (not R):
> sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev
> Or use your package manager.

Depending on exactly _which_ Debian (or Ubuntu) flavour you use you
also canget *ALL* of the tidyverse *IN ONE SHOT* as binaries.
I have several posts (and demos !!) on that below
  http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/code/r4/

Thank you Tyler and Dirk! I was able to install it using the commands
on your site Dirk (I pasted them below)! I was not able to get out of
the screen after mg /etc/R/Rprofile.sitedespite trying Q, q, quit, q(),
ESC, ... so had to run the last command in a different terminal window.
Super helpful, I think I will ask the tidyverse folks to have your
commands and URL in their installation instructions!
Thank you very much!!!!
$ apt-get update$ apt-get install r-base libcurl4-openssl-dev libssl-
dev libxml2-dev$ apt-get install mg          # a tiny editor$ mg
/etc/R/Rprofile.site     # to add a default CRAN repo$ R -e
'install.packages("tidyverse")'

so take a look and read up, and please come back here with
questions.  It isa difficult step to get all of tidyverse (or, say,
rstan) but we *do* have inbinaries.  This is very much worth learning
about methinks.
Cheers, Dirk