[R-sig-Debian] Bootable USB for R / was 32 bit 64 bit question, ELFCLASS32 error

J C Nash pro|jcn@@h @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Feb 3 17:35:51 CET 2021

A message from Harvey Friedman put an idea in my mind.

Linux-Ottawa has had a rather back-burner project to build a "club" distro.
Based on Antix (I think 17.??) we built a small test iso, since Antix has
a neat tool to convert running distro to an iso either for backup or
distribution.

In Virtualbox I added R to this using the debian repo for that version of
Antix -- unfortunately R 3.3.3, so mightily out of date. Then built the
iso. And then set it as the "cd" and booted it on Virtualbox and checked
R would run.

This took a half hour or so, though only about 5 minutes of my time. So there's
a pathway to build an R live-USB fairly painlessly. I suspect the largest part
of the effort will be to get current R (i.e., do the Secure Apt etc. to get
appropriate repository links) if that is needed. I'm sure fancier stuff can
be done, like adding RStudio and lots of packages, etc.

Best, John Nash